Several months ago I “met” Angela online. She had started the website, NW Healthy Mama around the same time that I launched the Hike Like A Woman Blog. She asked if I’d write a guest post, which I happily did and then from there we’ve had several fun email conversations. Last week when she interviewed me for NW Healthy Mama I asked if she’d return the favor as part of our #womenwhoinspire blog series. I think that after reading her interview you’re be inspired to live a healthier, happier life and you might find a new blog to add to your reading list.
Here’s the interview:
1. Why did you start NW Healthy Mama and what has been your biggest accomplishment with the website so far?
NW Healthy Mama was started when my passion for all things healthy and active, was paired with my love for the Northwest. I’ve lived in Washington my entire life and just in the last few years, I’ve discovered how much I love gardening, hiking, kayaking and being outside with my family. When these interests are combined with a growing community of women supporting each other, it thrills me!
My greatest accomplishment on the website so far has been seeing women connect with each other, support and cheer for each other. I have been blown away with the kindness and support of other women. I don’t know if it’s that I’m just surrounded with the right people, but I’ve come in contact with so many incredible people and it really gives me hope for humanity in general. There is still lots of kindness in the world and I’ve seen a lot of it since starting NW Healthy Mama. I am encouraged and excited to what’s ahead.
2. What is your favorite outdoor activity and why?
My favorite outdoor activity is hiking with girlfriends. Sure I love hiking with my husband and kids, but there’s something about tackling a difficult trail with a group of positive, fun and incredible friends.
My sister and I started a hiking group 1 ½ years ago, when I was fighting off some post-partum depression and anxiety. Our monthly hikes have played a huge role in healing for me. I no longer deal with those things and I can wholeheartedly say I love my life.
3. Where is your favorite place to get outside and enjoy the great outdoors?
If it’s a safe and smart place to be and I have the right people with me, I’m happy just about anywhere outside. I love kayaking with my husband, hiking, playing in the backyard with our kids and gardening.
4. What does spending time in nature do for you and your family? How often do you try to get outside?
Spending time in nature as a family has created a lot of peace in our home. I’m a sensitive person who can feel easily overstimulated inside, with kids bouncing off the walls all day. When we get out, the kids can just be how they were created to be. They can run, climb, play with sticks and use their imaginations. I scold them very little when we’re outside and it feels like the right way to raise a child. (I totally agree, Angela!)
We try to get outside everyday, even for just a few minutes, and we like to go for hikes or family walks on the weekend. Even sitting on the beach watching our kids build forts is wonderful. Kids need freedom to use their bodies, learn their limitations and engage in the world of creativity. When we give them space without walls, we all feel more peaceful and happy.
5. Where can we follow NW Healthy Mama online?
We would love to have you join us online! Our blog (http://nwhealthymama.com/) Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/nwhealthymama/) and Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/nwhealthymama/) are great places to connect. The online presence of NW Healthy Mama is really growing and it’s great to see a community of fun, positive and supportive women rising up.
6. Is there anything else you’d like to add?
I would just like to say thank you for the interview. You are an inspiration to me and I’m so thankful to be connected with you. NW Healthy Mama wants to encourage all women to love this life we’ve been given and to make the most of it. Eat like you love yourself, move like you love yourself and don’t forget to love the people in your life really well.
Thank you for having me.
Thank you so much for the interview Angela, I love what you are doing to provide a fun, informative and positive place for women. We need more women out there filling up the internet with these kinds of things.
Who inspires YOU! Who should I interview next? Leave me a comment below or on our facebook page.
- Join a whole bunch of awesome hikers and subscribe to our monthly newsletter! You’ll get a FREE copy of my e-book and an update once a month with special deals, offers and a sneak peak into what’s going on behind the scenes. I won’t spam you. I promise.
- Did you like this post? Spread the word and share it with a friend. Curious about where to find more? Check out Just Trails for trail information in Southeastern Wyoming and Northern Colorado. If you hike with kids join our kid-friendly outdoor community at Moms Who Hike.
- Or chat with me directly by sending an email to rebecca (at) justtrails (dot) com