Meet Diane Spicer.
Diane is the founder of the popular website, Hiking For Her.
I consider Hiking For Her to be one of the founding websites solely for women in the outdoors. Diane is a seasoned and experienced hiker and I loved talking with her about her outdoor adventures.
Now, I will say that we had our conversation over the telephone instead of Skype so the sound quality isn’t perfect but I think you’ll love meeting Diane and hearing her story.
Enjoy the show!
- 4:00 On Diane’s outdoorsy childhood and being a tomboy.
- 6:15 What it was like to start Hiking For Her in Diane’s 50’s and using it as a place to record her experiences.
- 12:30 The importance of taking care of your feet.
- 15:00 A herd of caribou in the Northwest Territories.
- 17:00 The meditative qualities of hiking.
- 19:15 The courage of Grandma Gatewood “She just blew up the stereotype of older women,” Diane.
- 25:00 On lazy outdoor cooking.
- 29:00 “As an older hiker I want to say that you can start at any age,” Diane.
Find Diane here: www.hiking-for-her.com
Book Mentioned: Braiding Sweetgrass
(Note: this podcast does contain a few amazon affiliate links. Shopping through our Amazon store doesn’t cost you anything and helps fund our Ambassador program. Thank you for your support!
Today’s show is sponsored by Audible. If I’m not listening to a podcast, I’m listening to an audiobook.
I devour audiobooks while I drive my car to and from interesting hiking destinations, clean my house, fix dinner, do the dishes, fold laundry and workout. There are so many good books that I want to read and I feel a lot more productive when I can multi-task by listening as I work.